Thursday, August 2, 2007

Of Rough Hands And Rotten Luck

Ah summer, what a beautiful time. Beaches and sunburns, long days and short nights. A time to hang out with friends and family, to just have a blast while you are out of school. This summer has been anything but this for me.
No, I admit that I hate the beach and I don't burn too easily. I will be hanging around my family in a mere week, at the annual camp out. But as for the "having a blast", it is anything but.
This summer, short as it has been so far, has beaten me time and time again. I don't want to complain, but I will because it makes for a good blog.
In the month or so that I have been out of school, I have suffered illness, injury, grief and breakdowns. Here are some examples:
Well, for starters, my car broke down. Well, it still ran but a belt fell off my air conditioning, and then this belt tore off my power steering belt. Good thing it happened right around home, but it still rendered my car useless for a few days.
Second, my grandma is in the hospital with an infection. While she was there she probably had a slight heart attack, and this has probably delayed her recovery. She is completely worn out but is now walking around her room, so it is improving.
Then I got sick a couple of days, so I have had to miss some work. Not too major, but not fun at all. I also have had a few rocky days with friends, which kinda threw my emotions into high gear. However, I dealt with this and trudged on.
But now comes the injuries. I was playing some baseball in the park a couple of weeks ago and I was throwing a baseball back the the ball diamond when I got a sharp pain in my elbow. I let it throb for a few days before I went to the doctor. He examined me and told me that I have a tear in my major tendon. He suggested taking 2 weeks off work, but that won't happen.
Then just yesterday we were putting some rim-joist's into my bosses truck when one of them hit me in the chest. Must have been that, otherwise a box of nails. Anyway, it didn't really bother me until about 5 minutes later, when I noticed I couldn't get a full breath. When I got home I told my mom, and she phoned the hospital. They told me to come in, and so I did. It took about an hour and a half for me to start to breath normally again. The doctor said it is probably bruised ribs, maybe a bruised lung.
I kinda feel stupid writing this, like I expect pity from you people. However, I don't want any. I did this to myself, or some of it to myself. And no matter what I tell you, I will survive this. It actually isn't too bad, and it could definitely be way worse.

No comments: